Dorsey is seeking a Labor & Employment Associate with two to four years of experience to join our Southern California office in Costa Mesa. This associate will work closely with partners on a wide variety of employment litigation matters, including wage and hour class actions and single plaintiff cases, as well as advice matters. Experience with organized labor and union negotiations is a plus. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with a proven foundation in employment litigation who is ready to take the next step in their career.
Qualified candidates will have:
- A JD degree from an ABA-accredited law school;
- Two to four years of employment litigation and counseling experience in a law firm setting;
- California bar admission
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Excellent verbal communication;
- Strong academic performance
Examples of what you’ll be working on over time, with increasing responsibility:
- Defend single-plaintiff cases and play a substantial role in managing complex litigation including class actions.
- Recommend and collaborate with partners on case strategy and tactics.
- Substantial brief writing.
- Argue motions in court.
- Interview witnesses and prepare fact presentations for litigated matters.
- Draft discovery requests and responses to discovery requests.
- Take and defend depositions.
- Substantial trial work, as required.
- Provide increasingly complex employment law advice and counsel based on experience.
- Proactively maintain workload and caseload; anticipate next steps and implement follow-up procedures.
- Maintain electronic and paper files.
- Manage case dockets, dates and deadlines for client projects and legal filings.
- Assist with special projects and cooperate as a team member with co-workers.
For California applicants only, the salary range for this position is $200,000 - $240,000. Pay is determined based on depth of experience in the practice area. The individual hired for this position may have the option of electing a lower billable-hours track with a proportional reduction in salary. Associates are eligible to participate in Dorsey’s associate bonus program, subject to the program’s conditions and restrictions.
Dorsey offers opportunities for advancement within a collaborative and dynamic environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Our benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance; domestic partner benefits (for same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners); Dorsey & Whitney 401(K) Retirement and Savings Plan; 15 weeks of paid parental leave, plus an additional 6-8 weeks of paid short-term disability for lawyers who give birth; adoption assistance; back-up child care program; education and college advising programs; well-being programs and activities; a 24/7 employee assistance program with confidential counseling; and more!
Dorsey values the strength that comes from a diverse and inclusive work environment. It contributes to the success of our people and our clients and enriches our experience. We believe that everyone should feel at home and part of our community.
You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, affectional preference, disability, age, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, military or veteran status, or any other legally-protected status.
Dorsey participates in E-Verify.
Clients have relied on the international law firm of Dorsey & Whitney LLP since 1912 as a trusted legal advisor and valued business partner. With locations across the United States as well as Canada, Europe and Asia, Dorsey provides an integrated, dedicated approach to its clients' legal and business needs. Dorsey’s diverse client base includes more than one-third of Fortune 100 companies.
Our lawyers apply superb legal knowledge and skills with practical wisdom and a deep understanding of business and industry. We serve clients in nearly all industries, but focus on six key industries in which we have excellent depth and a history of achieving client success:
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- Development and Infrastructure
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
Among Dorsey’s many distinguished alumni are U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun, noted law professor and scholar William Prosser, Minnesota’s first woman judge Betty Washburn, former U.S. Vice President and Ambassador to Japan Walter Mondale, U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar, former Corporation Counsel of the City of New York Zachary Carter, and U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack. Recognized for our dedication to community, Dorsey has met the ABA Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge every year since the Challenge began in 1993 by devoting more than 3% of billable hours to pro bono work.
One of our greatest strengths is a friendly, cooperative culture that values and appreciates each individual. Dorsey has received external recognition for our welcoming workplace, including:
- Mansfield Certification Plus (Diversity Lab)
- Best Law Firms for Women (National Association of Female Executives and Flex-Time Lawyers)
- 100% rating on the Corporate Equality Index (Human Rights Campaign)
- Top 100 Adoption-Friendly Workplace (Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption)
How to Apply
Dorsey accepts online applications at http://www.dorsey.com/attorneyjobs. We do not accept application materials by mail or email except as a reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled applicants. Dorsey is committed to providing disability and religious-based reasonable accommodations. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and hiring process, or if you have questions about a workplace reasonable accommodation, please contact us at 612-492-5033.